SHARKWATER

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

So it goes.

Bummer. Aside from the obvious success of novels such as Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle (my personal favorite), I found a couple of his other works inspirational or eye-opening. I think the first book of his I read was Breakfast of Champions, so I have a soft spot in my heart for it. And the collection of short stories Welcome to the Monkey House has several really good stories. One of them (EPICAC) inspired me as I was writing an oration in high school that ended up being very successful.

Thanks, Kurt. Cruising the blogs tonight, I can see that you inspired a lot of people.

2 comments:

Laura E. Goodin said...

The story "Harrison Bergeron" from Welcome to the Monkey House, which I read (anthologized elsewhere) in high school, can be considered one of the key works that has helped me form my moral outlook. Remarkable story.

Chard said...

Yeah, that is one I remember, too. Powerful stuff.