SHARKWATER

Monday, June 05, 2006

Torture

A number of groups, including Amnesty International USA and Human Rights Watch, have declared June to be Torture Awareness Month.

Most of us would rather not be aware of torture. Torture is bad. Torture is always bad. And it is beyond mortally embarrassing that my national government has had to engage in serious discussion of that fact over the last couple of years.

So I'm proud to make my first post of June register my endorsement of Torture Awareness Month. If I can make even one person more aware of the disgraceful things being done in our names, perhaps we can start to tip the balance.

As if it needed to be said: Be nice to each other.

Update: I forgot to mention that you can show your support by joining Blog Against Torture, too!

No comments: